Thursday, April 26, 2012

True Story

So I'm just over a third through my stay here in Shenandoah County, and I haven't blogged anything yet. True to style Lora, I've been procrastinating on this, even though it is something I've been dying to do. So now, I will make up for it with a list of all things that I've experienced so far.


WHAT I'VE LEARNED SO FAR LIVING IN RURAL VIRGINIA


1. To a New Englander, Virginia is like a damn rain forest. It is super green and super lush. I'm sure that has to do with the fact that Manchester NH is either frozen and barren or hot as hell and barren. When I first arrived here in March, everything was already green. There were flowers and flowering trees blooming and beautiful blue skies, mountains with hikers and lakes with boats on them. It was still a little chilly, which I appreciated. I also noticed people have some serious yards. And also people have some serious John Deere ride on mowers. Mowing the lawn is more like landscaping a giant field that may or may not house a collection of the following: cattle/sheep/goats/chickens/cats/dogs/deer/raccoon/llamas/alpacas/groundhogs and a large amount of bumble bees the size of softballs.

2. There are not a whole lot of real fire stations. It is mostly volunteer, so when an emergency happens, you call the local dispatcher, who sets off this insane siren that sounds like an air raid or some sort of natural disater is happening. That one got me in the middle of the night. I thought the world was ending. Then I thought I was hearing things. Then I looked it up online, only to find out it was probably a tornado siren. Then I thought the world was ending again. Then a few days later I found out the the long, uninterupted siren that blares 3 times in a row is just a 911 call. It is the short, multiple, not soon ending blares that mean tornado and imminent death. Good to know.

3. People are so fucking nice. I have talked to more strangers, waved at more passing cars on dirt roads, and heard "excuse me", "thank you", and "how are you today?" more in the past 5 weeks  than in the past 5 years in New England. This is definitely something I adore about this place. Also, ever home, and I mean EVERY home I have gone in to, people have been welcoming, hospitable with offering drinks and food, and curious about me. Almost always I end up chatting away long after the visit would have typically ended. This is the number one reason why I am convinced I have not had an episode of loneliness. Homesickness yes, but no loneliness. If I ever feel even a hint of lonely, I walk 1000 feet to the only small store within a half hour and strike up a conversation with someone for 20 minutes. Awesome.

4. Holler. In Yankee speak, it is the word "Hollow". It refers to the small valleys and ravines in between the mountains. Usually made up of "Holler folk", who may or may not have: 1. Pet raccoons, squirrels, skunks. 2. No heat 3. No electricity 4. No running water 5. Outhouses. They also may or may not be: 1. Illiterate 2. The nicest people you can meet 3. the toughest people you can meet. This one definitely makes me feel part of Appalachian culture.

5. A country mile. A country mile is exactly how far away every usual store, convenience and entertainment is from where I live.

6. The difference between a Yankee and a Damn Yankee is that a Yankee is just visiting, a Damn Yankee has come to stay, and I am neither because I don't have an offensive New Yorker or Bostonian accent.

7. Virginia is southern enough for accents and country music, not southern enough for only fried foods and high obesity rates.

8. Every 3rd radio station is Country. Every 2nd is Christian Contemporary.

9. Manure on a hot day is not pleasant, but way better than being stuck behind a chicken truck.

10. Speed limits are mostly just guidelines. Also, I have witnessed more crosses and memorials roadside here than anywhere ever before. This could have to do with the fact that people are much more religious here. Or just the former statement about lack of speed enforcement. It is crazy though, you see 4 or 5 at a  time in one spot. I should Google Virginia death rates from car accidents vs. other places. Done. Ok, so it is due to religious beliefs then. Some of the memorials are quite beautiful, it is very clear that people and the community take good care of a person's memory.

11. Community is very important, everyone knows everyone, gossip abounds. Luckily people in general seem to be gossiping out of concern or pride instead of spite or anger, and there is not a lot of maliciousness happening here. It is just that everyone knows everyone else's everything. This is an exception in 2 places I have been: Charlottesville, which is Virginia's equivalent of Bedford, NH, and Front Royal Walmart. That place is like international waters, or completely un-policed territory. All bets are off as to what you will witness.

12. I go through almost 5 gallons of gas a day going to and from work and doing errands, but it never seems like I'm in the car that long.

13. What is 3G? I have 2 signal bars in this 2 foot area in the corner of my condo! This is so exciting! I can actually talk for about 20 minutes before losing you. Ultimate uninterupted record!

14. What is that slab of concrete in the road? Why is it sitting across the water? It's a what?! A bridge? Seriously?

Don't worry, the width has got to be at least 7 feet, and the curb is at least 4 inches high, and the Shenandoah River is only about 350 feet deep in some places, so set your mind at ease. You'll be fiiine.

15. This cow. I saw him on side of a completely deserted, middle of nowhere road nowhere near any farms or houses, standing in the ravine on the shoulder. My first instinct was, should I call the Cow Police to report this totally lost cow? Then he looked back at me, told me he was gangsta, and that we coo as long as I don't call to poeleece. I took a picture and realized that cows eat grass and sleep on the ground. He's not in any danger. Also, there is no such thing as the Cow Police, and there was no cell reception. So keep it real, cow.


101. Baby goats and rabbits in my front yard.


No better way to finish than with pictures of adorable animals. Good on ya, Virginia. I think you're pretty nice.

Until next time, my friends. Stay tuned!




2 comments:

  1. Lost cow should become a new internet meme

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha agreed!! Let's put Matt in charge of that.

    ReplyDelete