Sunday, June 3, 2012

In Which I Post About Music (with some other stuff, too.)

You know when you hear a song and it feels like it just came out of the speakers and hit your guts with awesome? I love that feeling. It re-energizes my life. This past week, I decided I would drive 2 hours for vegan bologna. True fact, deal with it. On my way through Harrisonburg to Charlottesville Whole Foods, a new radio station came through. Now, I knew it was not one I had hear because it was not Pop, Christian rock or Country music, and it immediately grabbed my attention with Who Got the Hooch. Shortly after, played a barrage of songs that have now made it onto my Tornado Valley playlist/CD which has been on repeat in my CD player. I have listened to it enough to kill off most normal human beings, or at least turn them off of any music for a long time, however my super power of tolerating and even enjoying the same 12 songs over and over again has kept it turning faithfully in my boombox. Pretty much all alternative rock with a bit of folksy-ness mixed in. So, with grand thanks to WNRN, here is:

SONGS THAT I CANNOT GET ENOUGH OF

1. Alex Clare- Too Close. Ok, so fyi I know this one and many of the others on this list have been around awhile, but I have been kept from the current alternative music times being that I am in a busy, responsible adult and currently living in wildernessland. Also, you know this one. Everyone with a television knows this, thanks to those Internet Explorer commercials. However, the full length song is pretty great. This is about as much Dubstep as I can handle, and it is perfect. Also, I the video makes me want to learn how to ninja stick fight (see: Kendo/Shinai). I downloaded his whole CD and once I am finished eargasming at this current playlist, I will work my way throught it. And! Alex Clare is an adorable ginger, so he can do no wrong in my book, along with Ron Weasley.

2. Churchill- Change. Linked this one on FaceBook, got no love. It is cool, because I still love it, and the video. And the other Churchill stuff I've downloaded. If you are a fan of folsky country alternative, get with this.

3. Imagine Dragons- On Top of the World. Live version so you can watch him beat that drum. Ultimate happy, winning song.

4. Regina Spektor- Don't Leave Me. Another live version. She is so legit live. Try not to bob your head. YOU CAN'T. You've been Spektored. You're welcome.

5. Said the Whale- We are 1980. This video is boring at first, try to stick it out because the song is good and the video makes me giggle.

6. The Shins- The Rife's Spiral. Cool little artsy video.

7. Fun- Some Nights. Total love/hate relationship with this one. Hate the begining, love the middle battle song-iness, don't like the autotuned high pitched parts and ending. So this little clip was perfect. Apparently, the actual video premiers on Monday on MTV. Will not be tuning in.

8. Neon Trees- Everybody Talks. Another one that's been around awhile and is actually on mainstream radio. But gosh, it makes me want to dance! And makeout with strangers at a drive in. Not really. (Yes, really, sorry mom).

9. Imagine Dragons- It's Time. Really diggin this band right now. And who doesn't love a good post apocalyptic wasteland video??? This song is great, especially towards the ending, where the harmonies get big and it reminds me of the first time I heard Arcade Fire and it felt like an orchestra was invading my body and inhabiting it with grand-ness.

10. Awolnation- Kill Your Heroes. I don't like all of their music for sure, but this one makes my toes dance and I never thought I would see a man in a space helmet squeegeeing in the shower with a suite coat on and no pants. Thanks for making my dreams a reality, Awolnation!

11. The Offspring- Genocide. I've been in agro-mood lately, and nothing supports agro like some good ole Offspring.

12. Silversun Pickups- Blood Mary. Oddly enough, also not a fan of the beginning of this one. He sounds MEGA whiney, much more so than usual. But, I always love the overall sound of their music. Traditional nearly nonsense music video interspersed with band-playing-in-the-desert-and-in-closed-room shots and pretty-girl-running shots.The sky shots are pretty cool though, love me some space. Though it would have been cooler to have a legit Bloody Mary scene, where they showed some creepy bitch coming out of the bathroom mirror. OR OR if they were all drinking Bloody Mary's. Maybe like throwing them at each other? Bloody Mary fight!

So that's my playlist and I just hit repeat again on the stereo. Mmhmm, that's how we do in Basye. Where we all talk like Scruffy.

In other news, I saw Snow White and the Huntsman last night. I thought it was pretty good, but I am exceptionally easy to please when it is a fantasy movie with cool special effects/monsters, good composition and eye candy in the form of a Hemsworth. I knew I was going to like it before it even started. I will say though that Thor's attempt at Scottish accent was incredibly ridiculous, and reasonably Kristin Stewart is her usual boner kill self (unfortunately I can not take credit for this accurate description of KStew, it has been floating around the interwebs a bit.) You can watch a review of it here that will most likely represent the common opinion. While you are over on YouTube, if you like snark and news all wrapped up in a cute little video package, subscribe or just watch anything SourceFed and sxephil. I am a huge fan of all the Defranco Inc. productions. Check 'em out!

Time for my once a month laundry day. Sometimes I think if I had less clothing, I would do laundry more and it wouldn't pile up so high, but that's just not true. I would just wear dirty clothes more often.

No comments:

Post a Comment