Friday, April 4, 2014

In Which Renton is Simulatneously Sketchington and Progressville

Two blogs in one day. WHAT?!

Just a quick one. Mostly pictures so you don't have to use your word-reading eyes. I wanted to share some photographies. A quick shot at the last year and my more recent exciting exploration exploits. Also I forgot to swear in the blog, so prepare yourselves for my unleashing.

Last summer Kate and the kiddos came out to see me but I can't find the goddamn pictures anywhere! Boo. Just imagine baby koalas playing laser tag. That's how adorable it was.

Then it was my birthday and Bonnie came out! Here are some pictures of that adventure.

Let's put gum on the gum wall!!
Birthday Drinks at Needle and Thread Speakeasy

Aaand then I took a quick trip to Spokane to see Katie and Matt. Definetly going to return out there to explore some more and see these quality folks! 
This is about how things looked to me, too.



Then I did Thanksgiving with Marie and Zach, where I ate my first meat entree in over 10 years. I love meat.

Christmas was spent in the 603, including an overnight trip to Boston with my loveliest sister, where we stayed in a fancy hotel...

and went to Mount Auburn Cemetary where I spotted this gem at the top of the hill.

My mother's living room at Christmas. Most comforting room ever.
Then back to Seattle, where rain and fog reign supreme.
And on a day of sun, my car was towed, allowing me to walk 3 miles to get it back and find this nifty spot under the highway.
It's quite intricate and really fucking unexpected. Super cool!

Theeen I went to see Imagine Dragons and got some of the better concert shots I've ever taken.

And Momma Bear Visited, during which it rained mostly, and we went to Vancouver and hiked around at the Capilano suspension bridge. I had a great time and was super glad to do something new together!

And Justin made a sort of last minute trip out, during which we did not take many pictures and only one of the two of us at the top of the Space Needle. His visit out here was by far the most successful visit I've ever had in terms of exploring and showing him Lora's Seattle. A different place for coffee and beer at least daily, lots of cool sightseeing, and overall it was incredibly fun.

Since then I've had a few random adventures, including getting soda from the now infamous Haunted Soda Machine, which happens to be right down the street from me. Chcek out my mystery selections!


And now, as reference to my title, I have driven the same road to work hundreds of times. My office is in a suburb city south of Seattle called Renton. Renton is typically not known to be the best area for... outdoor recreation. Or cleanliness. Or general safety. But to my surprise, there are a few hidden gems, including this guy:

A wetlands garden directly off my route home, just outside multiple office parks, hidden away with no sign that it's there, I just happened to need to take a walk after work and ended up meandering up to the entrance. What cool little spot! This how to correctly deal with water treatment, watershed and wetland ecology.


And just for shits and giggles. No parking: hellawasted.

And there's a skull in my beer. Or there was before I drank it. Is that a bad omen?

Hope not, because I have a lot more shit to check out.

1 comment: