Monday, May 7, 2012

YOLO Bitches

So, 26, I see that you are right around the corner, shamelessly staring me in the face with your snarky gaze that says, "Yeah, so how does it feel to almost be in your late 20's?"

Well, 26, it feels fucking great! In your face, time!

Thinking about how my time on the earth is rapidly disappearing, I have made at least 5, no more than 10 "Shit I want to Do Before I Die" lists. No, not a Bucket List. A Shiwatodobedi list? Whatever you want to  call them, the aren't for me. Does it really make sense to spend hours and days scouring the internet to manifest a never ending list of things that you may never be able to do because you are broke, or scared, or the ideas are just totally unfeasible? Or worse, totally meaningless to changing your life and the lives of others? I would bet that most people get so overwhelmed by making their own lists that it seems so impossible to "live a good" life that they abandon it within a year, go back mindless day in and day out without a second thought and wake up at 50 wondering where the time went.

Well, now I'll put on my "grow older with dignity" face, which looks like Helen Mirren in my mind, but realistically is more like Boy George circa 2012 eye-poke debacle. To avoid that whole wake up in despair one day far far in the distant future, I figure, why not just do cool, thoughtful shit every day? You only live once, all. Best be getting to stopping by that book store, or donating blood, or something else every day that only takes an hour or two. Or 20 minutes. Or a weekend.

Now with that self riteous, too-cool-for-dying-of-cancer-list said, I'm also naturally kind of a lazy person. Perfectly evidenced by my visit to D.C. this past weekend, where despite that I had ambitious, museum-going, site-seeing agendas, I had a crappy start to the weekend and ended up just straight chillin', eating out and sleeping in late in my 4 star hotel room. But it was pretty nice! Moral of the story, enjoy the mishaps and unplanned plans as well. Sleeping in an insanely comfortable bed and watching The Lion King until I fell asleep is a total appreciated moment of the weekend.

In other news, I went to the midnight premier of Marvel's The Avengers in 3D. Officially there is no better movie going experience than midnight in theater 1 of 7 sold out shows filled with super geeks who have a geekgasm throughout all the previews, which included Prometheus, The Dark Knight Rises and The Amazing Spider-Man, laugh for 3 minutes when Iron Man calls Hawkeye Legolas, and nearly shats themselves when Loki gets Hulk Smashed bam-bam style. So entertaining! My love of Joss Whedon glows brighter than the unstable Tesseract. And Mark Ruffalo? Best. Hulk. Ever. No other Hulks. Nope. Don't Google that. NOPE.

Speaking of cheesy, I had cheese grits this weekend for the first time. Disliked and do not recommend grits in general. Also enjoyed some black water. And by enjoyed, I truly mean drank 4 sips and convinced myself it was giving me a stomach ache, which is absolutely 100% unlikely and is a total mind over matter thing. Why did I buy it? Because I had never seen a black bottle before that had water inside. And I still haven't, seeing as the water itself is actually black. Enriched with Fulvic Acid. Fulvic. That sounds like a sex crime committed on or near a volcano. Tastes like water, but I did feel it left me with total cotton mouth. Blegggghh. It is still sitting on my kitchen table, as I'm afraid if I pour it out it will simply burn through wherever I pour it. I went to Pangea Vegan Products on Sunday and bought everything. Best find of the weekend:
Little soy creamer packets! Makes any diner, deli, gas station coffee into vegan deeeelite.

In work news, I did lots o' nurse-y type things today. 36 staples removed from a hip, home removal of PICC line, wound vac...all in a day's work. My new service area is over an hour from where I'm living, which is a little sad for my gas tank. Will be hitting the good ole Hundy Thous on Lady Blade Runner in the next few weeks. Will take pictures of Carpocalypse 2012, as I imagine it is possible that the car may implode. Time will tell.

Leave me comments if you can figure out how to jump through Googlehoops to do so!  Commence end of post with short list of things I will do this year. Not want, but will.

1. Turn 26. Hopefully this one is a given.
2. Travel as much as possible. Ireland in the fall.
3. Seriously look further into Doctor's Without Borders
4. See family in NH and on PEI as much as possible.

2 comments:

  1. OMG you are hilarious! And yes, the Legolas line and the Loki Hulk smash were the two finest moments in The Avengers. Keep the posts coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks budday! Quite enjoy the blogging life!

      Delete