Thursday, July 12, 2012

Day Three, Part Badlands


Miles Driven on Day 3: 420
Total Miles so far: 1240
States Passed Through: SD
Currently In: Kadoka, SD

After my little rainbowfest yesterday, I still had plenty of daylight hours. I wanted to go to Badlands National Park. So, I did.

I passed through the Buffalo Gap Grasslands, but alas, no buffalo in sight. That's ok, because...
I had arrived at Mars on Earth! From a distance you can see the looming cliffs, reddish sand and you may experience a slight wetness in your pants because you have urinated out of excitement. That is totally normal, so don't worry.


You may ask me, Lora, what do rainbows, sand dunes and rattlesnake warnings have in common?

Well, my dear friend, see the above photo. It isn't long after you enter the park gates that you get up close and personal with some dunes. This was the first pull over stop available, with sweeping views of canyons, rainbows, and the first of many "Beware *insert hilarious cartoon snake graphic that makes rattlesnakes look rather harmless* Rattlesnakes!" signs.

Another picture from the first stop. I do have the color pop filter on for the camera here, but this one is so much more close to the IRL colors that I had to keep it.

 This kind of looks like some sort of ancient ruins in the Sinai Peninsula. You know the one. Anyway, I pulled over and hiked around awhile.

Holy bones, look at the color gradient. This is ombre, mother effers.

I cast a less than formidable shadow amongst the labyrinth of rock formations


I was looking for rattle snakes. Sadly, all I found was this Hipster inspired, Instagram-worthy camera shot. Brought to you by Canon Toy Camera Setting. And dirty, dusty clothing.

 I really like this one. I pulled over on the side of the road (apparently, 5 PM in the middle of summer is oddly enough NOT a busy time for this place) and was able to snap the picture right at the dip in the pavement, which makes it look like the world is bending to my whim. Or that I've photoshopped it.

In the middle of the road.

Some cool striations in between layers of sandstone

Random plateau.


The sun was starting to set, giving the entire sky a nice pastel glow

Uhhhm, what the hell is that? 



Jesus! There are more. They look like aliens came and abducted some cute deer and then forced their face skulls into a triangle shaped cake pan and then set them back down on the grassy plains to disturb unsuspecting tourists just looking for some regular old fucking deer! Well, it turns out, the are Pronghorns, totally legitimate Earthly species, frequently found in these parts.



603 in the... parking lot!








It's getting hazy






Like those magic sand art things we used to make in the 90's, no?

With the sun almost set, I decided it would be a good idea to go to my last next tourist destination, Wall Drug. For those who don't know what this masterpiece of cheesy, road side oddity attraction is, well, basically, it is like a mini town, with different stores that sell everything from outdoors equipment to jewelry. On one side there are a bunch of individual stores, on the other, the large, Wall Drug Mall, which houses all sorts of random stores, including a pharmacy, a wall of mounted jackalopes, and a back yard with free water and, well, you'll see.


The Ice Water Store, where you can get free ice water.

Wall of bizarre paintings, including this oil painting, "Brokeback Pasture".

By feed, the mean this: 


Awkward looking tail there, bud.

Mechanical piano playing gorilla serenades you as you sit upon the majestic giant jackalope.

Here is the free ice water station! Clean and cold!


So, that ended my first full day in South Dakota. I really loved my time here and I hope someday to travel baxk this way. Now, on to a national monument!

No comments:

Post a Comment