Thursday, July 12, 2012

Day Two

Miles Driven on Day 2: 820
Total Miles Driven: 1591
States Passed Through: OH, IN, IL, WI, MN
Currently in: Sioux Falls, South Dakota


Hey all! Day two was so long! My poor cats were pretty unhappy by the time we finally got to our hotel just after midnight last night. I just woke up! Good news is that today is a laid back day, hopefully filled with some nice sight seeing and less driving. Yesterday's highlight was the Wisconsin/Minnesota border where the Mississippi is. So beautiful! Maybe my next assignment will allow me my forever desired trip down Great River Road.

So there hasn't been much as far as scenery until I hit the Mississippi. Got stuck in delicious traffic in Chicago:

Aside from Chicago, the rest of my travel was open country. Although it does appear that there are a wealth of different crops grown out here, including:
Corn in Ohio! And..

Corn in Wisconsin! And...
Corn in Minnesota! Accompanied by the Queen of Cash Crops, Soy bean!

Ok, so sarcasm aside, southern Minnesota is beautiful. Lots of rolling hills and farms, and then of course, at the border you are greeted by this beautiful sight:
The Mississippi River. I was lucky enough to catch a barge coasting down the middle of the river. Seriously, the area surrounding the river is gorgeous. No, really. it's like a gorge. Steep, lush green hills, deep valleys with tributaries... I would live here. I didn't get a chance to go up to Minneapolis or do a whole lot of site seeing, as today was mostly about driving. Sight seeing is scheduled for South Dakota and Wyoming!

Sunset in Minnesota on a wind mill farm




I only have about 4 hours of driving to get to my next hotel, so I am hoping to get to see a bit of the Badlands and maybe Wall Drug by the end of the day. But first, coffee and food and a leisurely drive around South Dakota's largest city!  I will keep you all posted. Facebook is not much of any option for me out this way as I don't have the phone connection to make it work, but expect another blog either tonight or tomorrow morning!!! Love you guys.

2 comments:

  1. so awesome to see some pics of your trip, also the ones on facebook are rad. still catching up on your posts from while i was abroad. oh wait, i am always a broad. xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are one excellent duderette.

    ReplyDelete