Thursday, July 12, 2012

Day Three, Part One


Miles Driven on Day 3: 360
Total Miles so far: 1180
States Passed Through: SD
Currently In: Kadoka, SD


Phew! A long few days of near continuous driving. Today was jam packed with stuff, so I'm going to split it into two parts. These post will be picture heavy!

So, I don't know if I already said it, but the weather for this trip could not have been nicer. A bit hot, but once I hit the plains of South Dakota on Day 3, the 97 degrees was bone dry and was well tempered with a nice strong wind. Day 3 was less about mileage and more about exploring. Starting with a nice grocery stop at a Coop market in Sioux Falls, I drove the beautiful plains of South Dakota.

And before Kadoka, took a pit stop to explore around in Mitchell, SD. Who could miss this?


Corn Palace! Huuuuwhat?!

Yes, a turret of corn husks.


Rushmore Corn Mural, Anyone?


Wow. Corn science!

Adorable cement steer statue. I just want to hug it!

What... what is this? Is this a mobile home? It appears to have an air conditioner...
FYI, that's not snow. That's bug litter on my windshield.

Holy Crap, I wish I would have had some extra time to check this shit out. I love that movie!



A nice selection of WalDrug billboards. There must have been at least 50, starting in Wisconsin, over 5 hours of driving away from WalDrug.

And finally getting to Kadoka, checked in to this beauty:




The Dakota Inn in Kadoka. Family run, super friendly elderly gentleman was awesome to me. It was quiet and hilariously 70's, perfectly charming in all the right ways, just the way a Western motel should be. I loved this place.



The weather was a bit sketchy, looked as though a storm was coming. I saw some lightening, but luckily I didn't get rained on. I got some good shots of the clouds, and subsequent rainbows on my way to my next destination:




Seeing as it was so early when I got the the motel, I left the cats in the room to continue my adventures here at the Petrified Gardens. Lots of cool stuff, and science. Always science.


Thanks for the reminder!


Glowing science!

Rockwood science!

Colorful science! Good show!

Rainboo!

This is the register the guy was actually using to cash me out. Historical science!

Rainboo number 2


Probably as close as I will get to a buffalo on this trip.


Random paint splotch on this box under the Buffalo head.


Not paint, not paint!

The weather cleared up and skies turned blue, I knew it was time to continue on. On to the Badlands!

No comments:

Post a Comment